Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Catching Fire

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins 
Series Reading #2 


Suzanne Collins has done it again; I absolutely loved the second Hunger Games novel. Though I admit it started off slowly, by the middle of the book I couldn't put it down. Even in the beginning when the story development was a little slow I feel like there was much so much character development that it was almost necessary. There were a few times throughout the novel that I was absolutely shocked by what happened and did not see the events coming at all. The book was not predictable like many series readings are and I commend Collins for her ability to keep the reader intrigued. Every time that I thought I had the story figured out another element to the story surfaced. My ideas of the characters and the events were constantly changing as they will undoubtedly continue to change as I begin the third novel. For example, I still can't decide if I am "team Peeta" or "team Gale"; I love both characters so much that I can't choose and every time I think that I have made up my mind one of them does something that makes me love them even more. In a way, this mirrors what Katniss feels for the two men in her life which I believe is done masterfully.

Another thing I liked about Catching Fire was the fact that Collins was able to capture enough elements from the first novel that it was familiar, but, at the same time, was able to bring in so many new characters and twists to the story that there was considerable story progression. Katniss, for example, gained so much sophistication in this novel and matured an incredible amount. This is something that I feel is lost in many series readings; sometimes, I feel as if the story doesn't go anywhere and that I am reading the same story over and over again with little to no character development. This is clearly not the case with the Hunger Games series at all. The story is exciting and ever changing and truly keeps you on your toes. On a final note, I must comment Collins for her ability to transport the audience into another world. Time and time again I felt myself believing I was a spectator and that I was right alongside Katniss as she was experiencing everything. The amount of detail and precision used in her writing is spectacular and makes reading the series all the more fascinating. The Hunger Games series is quickly becoming one of my favorite series of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment