Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The BFG


Title: The BFG
Author: Roald Dahl
Sci-Fi/Fantasy #1


When I was in fourth grade my teacher had us read The BFG. Having remembered loving the book as a child I decided to reread this one for old time’s sake and boy am I glad I did! I loved this book just as much as I did when I was a child. The story itself is about a little orphan girl named Sophie who is taken from her bed in the middle of the night by a big friendly giant (BFG). The BFG takes Sophie to his cave and at first she thinks he is going to eat her, but to her delight, she finds out that the BFG is a nice giant – not a man eating giant! While the BFG takes away bad dreams from children and blows in good ones, the other “mean” giants go around eating people! With the help of the BFG, Sophie designs a plan to stop them and you’ll never see the twist at the end of the story coming…it was truly too adorable for words!

I think this book is a must read for students in 4th-6th grade. It is funny, entertaining, and whimsical. It truly transports you to another world where all of your wildest dreams can come true. At times while I was reading I forgot about where I was and what I was doing. It is amazing that a book can do that to me the same way that it did when I was 10 years old. I would definitely recommend that teachers at these grade levels keep a copy of this book in their classrooms if not a group set so that it can be used for small group or whole group reading lessons. Roald Dahl is a truly amazing author and I believe this book can be read and enjoyed by all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment