Sunday, April 22, 2012

What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?


Title: What’s the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
Author: Jean Fritz
Biography #4


When I first picked up, What’s the Big Idea, Ben Franklin”, I thought to myself boooorrring. To my delight, this notion was proven wrong within the first few pages of the book. I had absolutely no idea Ben Franklin was such an important and inspirational man. I learned so much from reading this book. For example, did you know that Ben wrote the Poor Richard’s Almanac? He also came up with the sayings “eat to live, not live to eat” and “a penny saved is a penny earned”. Franklin was also the reason France joined America in the war against Britain. This was all fascinating and new information to me.

I would definitely recommend Jean Fritz’s work to my students and any educator. These books are fun, educational, and very interesting to read! Though they may appear boring, this certainly isn’t the case. On a final note, I think this series needs to be reprinted and updated. These books are so good; I would hate to see them wither away on a library shelf simply because they look old and boring. The illustrations are very good as well, but would really “pop” on a glossy page with some color enhancement. Overall, however, excellent read that I would recommend to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment