Monday, April 16, 2012

The Midwife's Apprentice


Title: The Midwife’s Apprentice
Author: Karen Cushman
Historical Fiction #1 


The Midwife’s Apprentice is an exciting tale about what is was like to live during 14th century England. The story follows the main character, come to be known as Alyce, and the struggles she goes through being a poor orphan during medieval times. Throughout the story, the reader experiences Alyce go from being a “dung beetle” to an apprentice of a valuable trade who is clothed, fed, and sheltered. Finding herself in plenty of troubles along the way, I believe readers will find Alyce’s relationship with her cat, Purr, to be most interesting. 

Though I admit the book wasn’t my favorite, I do feel like it was a good representation of the times. I learned a lot about medieval England and think my future students would gain a great deal from the book as well. I found it to be very historically accurate and intriguing. I feel as if this book would stir further research by my students on the time period. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the novel was the relatability of the main character, Alyce. Students are able to see her fail at something and try again because of her determination. This is a lesson that can be learned by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment