Wednesday, April 25, 2012

More About Boy


Title: More About Boy
Author: Roald Dahl
Biography #5


Reading about Roald Dahl’s life was just about as strange as picking up a Roald Dahl book. It was truly interesting to read about all of the things he experienced as a child as many of these experiences seem to have influenced his later writings. For example, Dahl experienced a cruel headmaster much like the story many know and love, Matilda. Dahl also visited candy and sweet shops much like another story many know and love, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. One thing I particularly enjoyed about this book was the authentic feel it encompassed because of all of the artifacts it had. There are report cards, family photos, and letters – not to mention amazing illustrations that really make the story come alive.

I learned so much about Dahl from reading this book, such as him spending his time away at boarding school for most of his childhood and joining the Air Force when he got older. I would definitely recommend this book for classroom use, though I feel it to be most appropriate for older students. This book can appeal to a wide variety of age groups and interests. I feel like anyone can relate to at least one thing mentioned in this book which makes it highly relatable and versatile. Most of all, I would recommend this story to any Roald Dahl fan. As I mentioned before, Dahl’s personal history sheds an important light on his later writings that I feel most people would find to be very interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment